Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Blessed Beyond Belief

Exactly a week ago today I went into surgery for the removal of the left lobe of my thyroid and the isthmus. I was terrified that the results of that procedure were going to change my life forever. Unable to really let my mind admit to that but being past it, I can honestly say that now. Dr. Abrameit did an amazing job with my surgery and I have had a great recovery. I am still healing but the news we received 48 hours following the surgery made me feel like a healed woman. My tumor was benign. I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted from not only my shoulders but all those around me. I know I had tons of people faithfully praying for me all around the world and I strongly believe God heard those prayers and He answered them. I can not say thank you to everyone enough. I am also grateful for the loving friends and family who stood beside me during this scary process. My husband was the best "nurse" I could ever ask for. He showed me an amazing amount of love, patience and concern during this time and the days following my surgery. He made me one of my favorite soups(his grandmother's broccoli and cheese) and citrus fruit smoothies and even rented movies that he knew I would love(usually we have to do some negotiating when it comes to movies). He took such good care of me and made me so comfortable. I have never seen a man with such compassion and love. Initially I tried to keep all emotion and talk of what was going on away from Aubree. However, the night before my doctors appointment I had a weak momment. All along I had forced myself to think positively and not allow thoughts of negativity and fear to tant my mind. But I was hit hard all of a sudden with all these emotions of fear and the unknown and Kerry sat and held me in the bedroom as I cried. I didn't think at the time Aubree was around or could make out what was going on. Then a few days later she told her Bebe, "My Daddy is strong, he can hold my Momma." Bebe not knowing where this is going said, "Yes, he is" Aubree then told her,"He holds my Momma when she cries about her neck." From the momment Bebe told me that I knew I needed to talk more openly yet age appropriately with Aubree about what was happening instead of pretending nothing was happening at all. It was a very tough time for us as a family. We were all a little fearful of the unknown. Although the majority of the time we did a good job on staying positive and finding hope in what we knew to be true. I must at this time say thank you to my wonderful mother. She had such optimistic and encouraging words of wisdom during the entire process. Never once did she allow me to see the fear she must have felt. But I know it was there, she was just too strong and had enough strength for the both of us. When I called her with the report from the pathologist and told her it was benign, she was so happy and said, " Guess I can cut my hair now." She shared with me that even though I had been a little annoyed with her new, longer than ever hair do and had not only mentioned her needing to get it cut and styled numerous times but I even bought her a gift certificate with a stylist at a salon and at the time she acted as if she just didn't know what she wanted to get done to it. In all actuality, she told me she was growing her hair out because we have the same color(give or take a few gray hairs) and texture of hair so that if I had to loose mine she would be able to have a wig made of her hair for me. What an amazing mother I have!!! Hearing her tell me that not only melted my heart but made me feel like such a horses rear for all the comments I had made about her needing to do something with her hair. What an example my mother has been for me of a mother's love for their children. She has time and time again given her all to me and lifted me up when I wasn't sure I could stand on my own. She is an inspiration to me daily. I know she reads this and I just hope she knows how grateful I am. I love u, Mom! I have also felt a tremendous amount of love from my mother-in-law and have been ever so thankful for her wisdom and comforting words. I have an amazing support system and could never mention all the compassion and encouragement people have given to me but please know every word, phone call, card and flower sent meant the world to me. I appreciate it more than I could ever express! I am anxious for the wound to heal and to allow this experience to leave a lasting impression on my life. I believe everything happens for a reason. I want to use this trial as a testimony of what God can do and how precious every breath truly is. I never want to take this life for granted. I hope I live each day to the fullest and allow God to use me in the way He has planned. Thanks again for all the prayers, love and support!!

1 comment:

rachellechaseblog said...

just stumbled across your blog.
what a beautiful testimony!